Friday, October 21, 2011

Personal Progress and Forget Me Nots- Faith Value #1 Journal Entry



picture from flicker.com

My daughter had just come home with two of her siblings and her dad from doing temple work and had enjoyed her time. 
After unwinding from the hot ride home she was eager to accomplish her school work. She went to grab her binder that held all of her notes and papers from school and was distraught to find that it wasn't where she left it. She was frustrated because she has worked diligently to stay organized. 
She had left the house earlier that day in a rush grabbing a bag and leaving the contents behind. Little did she know that about 4 hours later her younger siblings would awake and clean up. 
picture by beaconmeadows.org
She looked all over the place. I helped because I knew how much she has tried. I even looked in the trash that was already taken out to the trash trailer; thinking that maybe it was the two year old who had cleaned up and possibly thrown it out.  




GROSS!!


It was very frustrating for the whole household. The day went on and she worked on projects that she could do without the notebook. When my husband and I left for the R.S. Broadcast she made dinner for the family without being asked; fulfilling every mothers dream. 
After the meeting, my husband (who happens to be Bishop) and I talked and decided that the church had not been cleaned by the people assigned to the task. 
We knew and felt like we needed to get the Lords house ready for His people. 
So, we decided that the best thing for us to do was to go home, grab our children and clean it. Mind you, this is 9 p.m. Ugh! (We considered calling other people to help but figured with 11 kids we could get it done quick.)
After picking up the kids and working for nearly 45 mins. I asked my previous mentioned daughter to help me re vacuum the hallways because I wasn't satisfied with my 9 year old's zealous attempt. She looked at me and half said, "but that will take us even longer; I still have homework." She quickly turned and went to work. I don't know if she was cursing my name in her mind but I was grateful for her willingness to do what needed to be done. We finished at 10 p.m. and arrived home tired and eager for our now over excited kids to be asleep. I asked my daughter if she was able to find her folder and you could see the despair, frustration, and sadness written all over her. She said, "Mom, it's useless. I've given up." 
"Did you pray?", I asked.
"Yes."
The family all chimed in with different thoughts of encouragement, "Have faith, maybe you'll dream about it tonight,(which was a reminder to her that she had received an answer to a previous prayer that way), keep looking.""No, It's pointless and I've given up." 
My husband asked the family for about the fourth time that day if anyone had seen the green binder.
I had determined I would go out and look in the other trash that had gone out to the trailer but was saved by my 5 year old little girl. 
She had the folder in hand having found it under her pillow. 
You can imagine the joy and excitement this caused in our household. Not to mention my daughter who needed it. 
My 11 year old couldn't resist saying, "the tooth fairy must have left something extra tonight!" 
The kids recognized that God answers prayers and we need to just hold on to faith. 
After settling down with my husband, with both of us now eating dinner at 10:30p.m., I told my husband how my daughter had felt a very similar thing that I had just 6 hours previous. 
I had showered and dressed getting ready for my meeting but was overwhelmed with my household responsibilities. I had knelt on my bed spilling my frustrations in thought to my Heavenly Father. My husband came and held me as I vocalized them to him. I had wanted to give up, thinking there was no use in trying. My efforts were in vain. Why should I have such expectations? He said that I would carry on because I was strong. 
picture by 321coloringpages.com
Sigh!
Have any of you felt such pain?
(Duh! I know that answer!)
Before I left, I said a prayer asking to be given a message that I would know was specifically for me.
Now, if any of you are interested, look it up and see for yourself to know if my prayer was answered that night. R.S. Broadcast Sept. 24th 2011 the address by Pres. Uchtdorf I'm sure titled, "Forget Me Nots"
There were five points he asked the sisters not to forget:
1. Forget not to be patient with yourself
2. Forget not the difference in a good sacrifice and a foolish one
3. Forget not to be happy now
4. Forget not the why in the gospel
5. Forget not that the Lord loves you
The message was sweet. It spoke peace to my soul. It relaxed my furrowed brow.
I asked my husband if he was thinking about me during the talk.
He kindly said, "Every woman that I have spoken to feels the same way and needed to hear that message."
Moments like the two I shared earlier can be so bitter.  I am grateful that my family learned a little more about faith that night.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for submitting a comment.