Tuesday, February 26, 2013


The Secret about Work and Play
When I was in college I knew the value of taking time away from work to play.  Play was as simple as throwing a frisbee around or watching an old favorite movie, going to a dance, calling complete strangers with my roommates and having conversations with them, etc.  It was replenishing to me and it helped me focus when it was time to get to work.  I had more energy, stamina and enjoyment as I worked when I allowed enough downtime to my rigorous schedule.  
I never noticed that I did this naturally  until "umpteen" years later, as a mom, I had forgotten how to play.  
It actually sometimes feels painful to "let loose" and enjoy my '"play" time.
Why? You ask.  
 It is like my mommy muscles and spirit wouldn't allow me to do it.  I feel guilt for not having everything else in tip top shape.  
I had too much laundry.  Or the kids still hadn't bathed and it was 9:30 at night.  Or...Or...Or...You get the idea.  Everyone else had needs that needed to be taken care of by me; mommy.  
I'm not sure when I realized this secret.  However, I will not be shy about sharing it.
I believe it's a true principle that will make life joyful; even a midst the difficult minutes, hours, and days of life.
Every wonderful thing in your life will be enhanced and more beautiful if you take time to enjoy it.
Work when it's time to work.  Play when it's time to play.  
Don't feel guilty when you are playing that the dishes aren't done.  And don't think about what fun things you aren't doing when you're working. 
(This makes you feel like a martyr.)




Take time to smell the roses.
Sharpen the saw.
Work and Play with Zest



My husband understands this principle.
This is a picture of him dancing with our daughter after promising that he would when she finished her homework.  It was late and we were tired but he kept his promise.
Look at her smile.
What a wonderful father.
My son followed my husbands example and when asked by his baby sister to dance, 
 
     he danced with zest.
                                               
"Mom, I'm flying!"
Swing baby swing
This is actually our little 3 year old giving our 12 year old instructions.
It was hilarious.

  I allowed myself time to enjoy this wonderful moment.
I laughed and took many pictures.
It was late and dishes still needed to be done but I exercised my "play" muscles and I finished the dishes without feeling like a martyr.

That's the secret about work and play
and a
zestful life.
Here's a song by Alabama that inspires us to slow down and enjoy our life.  It's one of my favorites.






No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for submitting a comment.