Monday, November 7, 2011

Personal Progress Faith Value #3
Sabbath Day Observance and Tithing

picture from lostseed.com

I read in the Bible Dictionary under Faith. There were a couple of things that stood out to me that I'm not sure I understood before; 1. Miracles do not produce Faith yet they confirm ones faith. 2. True Faith must be based upon correct knowledge or it cannot produce the desired results. 3. An actual knowledge that the course of life one is pursuing is acceptable to the Lord.

I have used faith in all the principles listed above (prayer, tithing, fasting, repentance, and keeping the Sabbath day holy.) but I want to share one that I learned on a personal level years ago. I just turned 18 in my last semester in my High School career.  I was accepted to college and I needed money. I live in a tiny community and there is not a lot of opportunity for work. I asked for an application to a privately owned fast food place.  My mom had worked for the owners years ago as a waitress and I thought that I might have an advantage because of it. I was filling out the application and I came to the part that said what hours I would accept. I was told by a very close relation in my life that if I wanted a position I would need to put down that I would work anytime including Sunday. I remember that being a struggle for me.

I needed the job but I knew the commandment of keeping the Sabbath holy. My future father in law, who also happened to be my home teacher came to me and knew that I was looking for work and counseled me not to work on Sunday. This was a tough one for me but I was obedient to my home teacher because I knew him to be a righteous man with a great family. I remember being prayerful for what I believed would be a miracle.
I got the job even though the owner was hesitant because of the no Sunday rule. I was pretty excited and shared it with everyone that knew of the situation. I thought that was a blessing for my faith.
Then the first schedule was posted and I was listed as working on Sunday. Wow! I was frustrated. It was very clear that the no Sunday rule bothered my boss and I was even told that the only reason I got the job was because my mom was such a good worker for her. (Thanks Mom!) Anyway, I didn't know how to handle this. One solution was to tell her that I would not work on Sunday and another would be to just work on that Sunday and tell her that there would be no more. I finally came to the conclusion that I had to find someone else to work for me and remind my boss of our conversation.

Now, I was not as bold or as confident as I am now and suffice it to say, I was very anxious about confronting her. It was not pleasant and I'm pretty sure that she must have thought I was some pompous twit. Faithfully, I stood my ground and I think she scheduled me one more time, in which I found someone else to work, but it never happened after that.

I have looked back at that turning point in my life. I can even recall the pleased or proud look that came over my home teachers face. That look has meant so much to me over the years. It was clear to me that my Heavenly Father was pleased with me.
Indeed, the miracle happened to confirm my faith. It also gave me the courage and conviction to let that be my standard.

When I married my home teachers first son it was a building block upon which we have based our life. He purposely avoided the jobs that would cause him to work on Sunday which meant he missed out on promotions. We have never regretted it and have always been blessed.

I have another close relation who has struggled with paying tithing. It involves overcoming a deep fear of not having enough food in the fridge for her children. She experienced this as a young teenager and vowed she would never allow this to happen to her children.
She has finally made the choice that wasn't even a consideration for her for many years and yet after a large decrees in money she has dug up enough faith to pay her tithing.
I can't express the joy I have for her. I know she has more faith than me in this regard; I've just always paid my tithing.

I also wanted to share something I learned this weekend at a Time Out For Women: Faith is power.
Faith is wanting what God wants for me. The Optimist Experiment is the same as the Faith Experiment. Pray, Think, and Live with Faith. If I make sure that the thing I'm asking for is right then the Faith comes in and takes over. Our family decided for FHE to keep track of our Positive thoughts and what a difference it has made in me already.

I've had a secret wish that I've held since I was in college. My husband came home and told me of a private conversation he had with our Stake President telling my husband to prepare for something. He is to prepare for my secret wish. The S.P. knew nothing of my wish and so I know God was telling me he heard my prayers and was willing to bless my faith. Knowing the course in life in which I'm pursuing is acceptable to God; I can live more zealously in Faith. Sweet! Sweet!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for submitting a comment.